How to become a Licensed Electrician in Utah
Become a Utah licensed electrician. Our electrical exam prep courses teach you to pass your Utah Residental Electrician, Journeyman Electrician, or Master Electrician test on your first attempt.
WE TEACH YOU TO PASS!
Get Licensed! Utah law requires that all electricians be licensed if performing work as a Residential Electrician, Master Residential Electrician, Journeyman Electrician, or Master Electrician. If you do not possess a current Utah electrician license, you are working illegally.
Complete the appropriate online application and submit it to the Utah Department of Commerce Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing ASAP.
Get your Utah Master Electrician, Journeyman Electrician, or Residential Electrician License.
PASS YOUR UTAH MASTER, JOURNEYMAN, OR RESIDENTIAL ELECTRICIAN EXAM THE FIRST TIME YOU TEST!
How? Because TLC Works! Our programs are among the most successful, comprehensive, and affordable training and exam preparation programs available anywhere.
The key to your success while using our program is a 22-lesson breakdown of our curriculum, designed to maximize your learning & retention potential. When you follow our curriculum, you WILL PASS your exam!
We provide a comprehensive strategy to pass the Utah electrician exam by teaching you how to “navigate” the 2017 NEC. You will quickly become an expert at finding the answers to exam questions rapidly and accurately.
Why choose TLC? to help pass the Electrician exam? Because your time is too valuable to choose anyone else!
Five Reasons to Enlist TLC to help you PASS YOUR UTAH ELECTRICAL LICENSE EXAM.
- TLC has fifteen years of experience educating electricians on navigating the code and passing state-required electrician tests. We are experts at helping electricians pass the electrical exam!
- A+ Rated with the BBB. Our Programs Work, we have never received a complaint. Check us out!
- Our eTextbooks and online study center contain over 1300 multiple choice questions taken directly from the 2017 NEC (the basis of the Utah electrician test), as well as dozens of timed simulated full-length practice exams.
- We guarantee that YOU WILL PASS YOUR EXAM! If you don’t pass your Utah Electrician exam after two attempts, We offer a full refund.
- We have a 98% Pass Rate! Our students pass the exam. In fact, out of the 3000+ electricians that have used our study courses, less than 50 failed to pass on the first try.
OUR STUDENTS PASS, we guarantee it! Our students enjoy a 98% pass rate!
Consultants are available at 866-685-8564 – Mon-Fri 7 am to 10 pm pts, to answer any of your questions.
Each student has access to the following online study guides and online study questions, and timed full-length simulated exams.
Basic Electrical Theory – eBook
- AC Current
- Simple AC Current Calculations
- AC Phase
- Phase Rotation
- Single-Phase Power Systems
- Three-Phase Power Systems
- Three-Phase Y and Delta Configurations
- Measurements AC Magnitude
- Power in Resistive and Reactive AC Circuits
- Calculating Power Factor
- Practical Power Factor Correction
- Kirchhoff’s law
Supplemental Study guide – eBook
- Ohms Law Tutorial
- Prints & Specifications Tutorial
- Wire Color Codes
- Electronic Symbols
- Electrical Diagrams
- Digital Multimeters
Navigating the 2017 NEC – eBook
- How to quickly reference the NEC
- Code reference speed drills
- Table of Contents
- Layout and structure of the codebook
- How to use the Index
- TLC System for answering test questions
- Keyword Identification – How to identify the subject of a question
- Example questions are broken down for your review.
- Practice questions with answers fully mapped out.
ONLINE STUDY CENTER – Practice Exams & Study Questions
Study Mode | Flash Card Mode | Chapter Tests | Simulated Final Exams:
Access Study Questions & Simulated Exams from any device with internet access! Online features include 1300+ practice questions, virtual flashcards, chapter exams, & unlimited mock final exams.
These questions exist to provide a framework for you to practice locating the answers to questions through the use of your NEC Codebook. This process of constantly utilizing the code to answer practice questions will build up the speed and code knowledge to successfully pass your electrical exam.
Four Modes of study!
- STUDY MODE This mode covers all Utah electrical exam questions and answers within our course. (Organized as Question – Answer – Code Location.)
Included in this mode of study are;
- General Trade Knowledge Questions (General electrical questions not in the code)
- Blueprint Reading Questions
- Calculation Questions (Load Calculations, Conduit Fill, etc.)
- 2017 NEC Code Questions
- FLASHCARD MODE: Online Virtual Flashcards provide individual randomized questions. This mode presents access to our entire question set and is ideal for answering randomized exam questions. (Organized as Question – Answer – Code Location.
- CHAPTER TESTS: Verify your understanding of each section of our structured study questions. (Practice tests provide real-time feedback on each section of our study materials and enable you to concentrate on those sections most needing improvement.
- SIMULATED FINAL EXAMS: Final exams simulate the experience of taking your actual electrician exam.
Simulated Finals Are:
- Full length (Same number of questions as the Master Electrician exam)
- Timed (Same amount of time allowed as the Master Electrician exam)
- Randomized (Questions are assigned randomly; all exams are unique.)
- Properly Balanced (All questions are balanced according to the Candidate Information Bulletin to guarantee a realistic exam simulation)
Take as Many Timed Final Exams as you Want! (Practice exams help you rapidly gain confidence and knowledge to pass your Electrical Exam effortlessly.)
ONE YEAR ONLINE ACCESS: 1-year full access membership to our Online Study Center. Conveniently study in your home or office without wasting valuable time commuting to distant classes.
Our program is a reliable and affordable way to prepare for your Utah Electrician Exam while at home and online.
THIS PROGRAM REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE A COPY OF THE 2017 (NEC) NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE. IF YOU DO NOT OWN A COPY OF THE CODEBOOK, YOU SHOULD ACQUIRE ONE IMMEDIATELY.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please check with your State or Local Board for current information. Licensing requirements change, and our site may not have been updated to reflect those changes.
QUESTION: Who is required to have a Utah Electrician license?
ANSWER: The Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing must license any individual who is engaged in the electrical contracting business or is performing work as a Master/Journeyman/Residential Electrician.
QUESTION: What are the qualifications required for taking the exam?
RESIDENTIAL JOURNEYMAN ELECTRICIAN (RJE):
Experience Requirements –
Official transcripts showing completion of 2 years of an approved apprenticeship program and “Verification of Electrical Experience” form documenting at least 4,000 hours of required training as an apprentice in not less than two years.
“Verification of Electrical Experience” form documenting at least 8,000 hours of required training as an
apprentice in not less than four years.
RESIDENTIAL MASTER ELECTRICIAN (RME):
Experience Requirements –
“Verification of Electrical Experience” form documenting at least 4,000 hours of required practice as a licensed RJE in not less than two years.
JOURNEYMAN ELECTRICIAN (JE):
Experience Requirements – Official transcripts showing completion of an approved apprenticeship program and “Verification of Electrical Experience” form documenting at least 8,000 hours of required training as an apprentice in not less than four years.
“Verification of Electrical Experience” form documenting at least 16,000 hours of required training as an
apprentice in not less than eight years.
MASTER ELECTRICIAN (ME):
Documentation of meeting the education and experience requirements outlined below:
- Four years of experience as a licensed JE
- A graduate of electrical trade school with a two year AAS degree that is properly accredited and two years
of experience as a licensed JE
- A B.S degree in electrical engineering from a school that is EAC/ABET accredited and one year of licensed experience
Documentation must consist of a combination of the following:
- Official transcripts showing the degree earned from an approved school.
- “Verification of Electrical Experience” form documenting you meet the Utah experience requirements.
QUESTION: How do I sign up for the exam?
ANSWER: You must fill out and submit the Individual Examination Application form to the Utah State Electrical Board to be approved to take the exam.
Upon approval from the Utah State Electrical Board, you will receive a notification letter via mail. You will then be responsible for contacting PSI to pay and schedule for the examination. If you fail, you may retest unlimited during your eligibility period.
The exam is administered by a third-party testing center, PROV Exams. You can contact PROV with any questions at (877) 228-3926 Hours of operation are between 6:00 am, and 10:00 pm.
QUESTION: How long is the exam?
ANSWER: The Utah Electrician exams consists of three separate exams. These are the Code Exam, Theory Exam, and Practical Exam.
- Utah Code Exam: 80 Questions, 180 Minutes.
- Utah Theory Exam: 50 Questions 115 Minutes.
- Utah Electrician Practical Exam: 7 questions 120 Minutes
NOTE: Applicants are not required to take the Utah Electrician Practical Exam if they have previously passed any other previous practical exam.
QUESTION: Why should someone study this course if the electrician license exam is an open-book test?
ANSWER: The electrical licensing exam is a very challenging test and usually requires a month or more of preparation to pass.
The 2017 NEC is a large and complex publication containing over 800 pages of code. It is challenging to locate each correct article and answer in the time allowed during the exam without thorough preparation.
Our course is designed to familiarize you with the 2017 NEC. You will know precisely how to find the correct answers in the code when you take your exam.
We prepare you to successfully pass your exam by providing extensive knowledge of the structure of the code and by thoroughly covering each subject appearing on your Utah Electrical License Exam (excluding the practical exam).
QUESTION: Why is a copy of the 2017 NEC required by this course?
ANSWER: The Utah Master/Journeyman/Residential Electrical License Exam is based on the 2017 NEC. This course is an excellent study companion to the Code. This course makes frequent references to code sections and guides you through the exam topics.
The Electrical Licensing Exam is an open-book code exam. To pass, you must continuously reference the 2017 National Electrical Code.
The following codebooks allowed by the testing center.
For all Electrician Exams
- The NFPA 70 – National Electrical Code, 2017 Edition.
QUESTION: What can I bring into the testing center?
- Approved references
- Prescription eyeglasses
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE EXAM:
The Utah Master/Journeyman Electrician exam is an open book multiple-choice exam. You will have four choices per question. Some questions may require mathematical computation. You are required to bring your own specified reference materials.
All exam questions are written to provide only one BEST answer and NOT written as trick questions.
General Information Links:
- Electrical Licencing – Candidate Information Bulletin:
EXAM SCHEDULING – EXAM CONTENT – TESTING CENTER LOCATIONS
Use your codebook to answer the following Utah Electrician Certification Exam questions.
- PASS –If you correctly answer twenty+ of these free UT electrician exam practice questions, great job!
- FAIL – If you miss four or more questions, order this course and learn to pass your UT Electrician Exam.
Use the 2017 (NEC) National Electrical Code) to solve these UT electrical certification exam practice questions.