Pass your 2014 Master/Journeyman/Residential Electrician License.
Our Electrical License study course will thoroughly prepare you to pass your Master/Journeyman electrical exam the first time you test.
How? Because TLC Works: Our programs are among the most successful, comprehensive, and affordable training and exam preparation programs available anywhere.
The Master key to your success while using our program is “The Plan:” A 22-lesson breakdown of our entire curriculum, designed to maximize your learning & retention potential. If you follow our curriculum, you WILL PASS your exam!
We provide a comprehensive strategy to pass the Master/Journeyman Electrical exam, as well as how to “navigate” the 2014 NEC. You will quickly become an expert at finding the answers to exam questions rapidly and accurately.
Satisfaction is guaranteed! All of our programs have a five day evaluation period. If you don’t see the value in what you’ve purchased, send it back for a full refund.
Why choose ECC? Because your time is too valuable to do anything else!
Five Reasons to Enlist TLC to help you PASS YOUR MASTER/JOURNEYMAN/RESIDENTIAL ELECTRICAL EXAM.
We have fifteen years of experience teaching electricians how to pass their Electrical Certification Exam. We are experts in teaching you how to navigate the Code. We have been helping electricians pass this test since 2005. We know how to help you pass your exam and get you certified!
A+ Rated with the BBB. OUR PROGRAM WORKS. WE HAVE NEVER RECEIVED A COMPLAINT!
Our textbooks and online study center contain over 1200 multiple choice questions taken directly from the 2014 NEC, as well as numerous full-length practice exams.
We guarantee that YOU WILL PASS YOUR EXAM! TLC was the first 32 Hour ONLINE continuing education school in California. We are the ONLY one that offers both Certification Exam Test Preparation and Online Continuing Education.
We have a 98% Pass Rate! Our students pass the exam. In fact, out of the 3000+ electricians that have used our study courses, less than 50 failed to pass on the first try.
OUR STUDENTS PASS, we guarantee it!
Our students enjoy over a 98% pass rate!
Consultants are available at 866-685-8564 – Mon-Fri 7 am to 10 pm PST to answer your questions & to lend assistance.
Certification Course Breakdown
This course covers the 2014-Master/Journeyman Electrician exams.
Don’t waste time commuting to a classroom when you can study conveniently in your home or office. Our program is a reliable, affordable way to pass the 2014 Master/Journeyman Electrician Certification exam.
Textbook – Breakdown of the 2014 NEC
- How to quickly reference the NEC
- Code reference speed drills
- Table of Contents
- How to use the Index
- Layout and structure of the codebook
- Keyword Identification – How to identify the subject of a question.
- Example questions are broken down for your review
- Practice questions with answers fully mapped out.
- TLC System for answering test questions
Textbook – Basic Electrical Theory
- AC Current
- Single Phase Power Systems
- 3 Phase Power Systems
- Measurements AC Magnitude
- Calculating Power Factor
- Kirchhoff’s law.
- Ohms Law
- Print Specifications
- Digital Multimeters
ONLINE STUDY CENTER – Practice Exams & Study Questions
Book Study Mode | Flash Card Study Mode | Chapter Test Mode | Exam Simulation Mode:
Access practice questions & simulated exams from any device with internet access! Online features include virtual flashcards, 1200+ practice questions, chapter exams, & unlimited mock final exams.
- 2014 NEC Practice Questions by Chapter (Question, Answer, and Explanation)
- 2014 NEC Practice Flash Cards (Randomized, throughout entire codebook)
- 2014 NEC Practice Exams by Chapter
- Multiple Simulated Final Exams (Randomized, every exam is unique)
SIMULATED PRACTICE EXAMS: Chapter tests and final exams allow you to check your progress while you master our study material. Practice tests provide real-time feedback and enable you to concentrate only on subjects needing improvement. Practice exams help you rapidly gain confidence and knowledge to pass your Electrical Certification Exam effortlessly.
ONE YEAR ONLINE ACCESS: 1-year full access membership to our Online Study Center. Conveniently study in your home or office without wasting valuable time traveling to distant classes. Our program is a reliable and affordable way to pass your 2014 Master/Journeyman Electrician Exam at home, and online.
THIS PROGRAM REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE A COPY OF THE 2014 (NEC) NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE. IF YOU DO NOT OWN A COPY OF THE CODEBOOK, YOU SHOULD ACQUIRE ONE IMMEDIATELY.
Exam Study Tips
Use the following strategies to more effectively prepare for the 2014 Master/Journeyman Electrician exam and to improve your overall test score.
SET YOURSELF UP TO PASS THE EXAM.
PREPARE FOR YOUR EXAM IN ADVANCE: It is best to begin preparing long before the day of your exam. Make it a habit of completing your reading assignments and frequently review lecture notes. Also, develop an outline of the main topics and concepts that will be covered during your exam, then use this sheet to study.
These tips will help you memorize the essential facts and other information you must know to pass.
MAKE TIME TO STUDY: Create a study schedule and stick to it. Consistently make time for studying.
Work and other activities can hijack your study time, so be sure to set aside at least 60-120 Min per day so you can adequately study for your exam.
STUDY REGULARLY: consistently study every day during the workweek Monday – Friday. And take your weekends off.
DON’T OVER STUDY and BURN OUT. Enjoy your weekend.
PAY ATTENTION TO THE TRAINING PROGRAM: Do not concentrate on memorizing the practice questions, Instead focus on looking up the answers in the codebook. The practice questions mean nothing. Being able to find solutions to the problems in the codebook means everything.
When you master the codebook, you master the exam.
USE THE LAST THREE DAYS BEFORE YOUR EXAM FOR A LIGHT REVIEW: Go over your notes, reading assignments, practice exams, and other materials.
DO NOT POWER STUDY the last couple of days before your exam. If you don’t know it now, you might as well reschedule.
THE DAY BEFORE YOUR EXAM
DO NOT POWER STUDY THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR EXAM: Getting plenty of rest and exercising will enhance your ability to perform well on the South Dakota Journeyman Electrician exam.
Make sure you eat a light, nutritious meal before taking your examination to be alert and focused.
GO TO BED EARLY THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR EXAM: It is unwise to stay up all night studying before a test. Get plenty of sleep the night before your exam.
While spending extra time preparing seems like it will improve your score, don’t power study the night before your exam. You will do worse on the test if you to show up for your examination tired or worn out.
THE DAY OF YOUR EXAM
EAT FOR SUCCESS: Eat a nourishing but lite breakfast/lunch, You want to be sharp, focused, and alert for your exam not tired, bloated or hungry. Fruits such as blueberries, Healthy Protein such as fish or eggs, Nuts, etc. are all excellent choices.
Eat the food that makes you feel your best and most alert.
ARRIVE AT THE TEST CENTER EARLY: Arrive at the test center at least 30 minutes before the scheduled start of the examination.
Don’t be late. You may not be allowed into the exam center and forfeit your test fee.
TAKE CARE OF YOUR “BUSINESS” BEFORE THE EXAM: Be sure to use the restroom before your exam begins. If you must visit the bathroom during the test, it can waste time and break your concentration. In many cases, you may not be permitted to leave the examination area once the exam begins.
Not being allowed to use the restroom can be extraordinarily uncomfortable and adversely affect your final score.
READ THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY
- Each question has only one correct answer.
- Do not leave any questions blank. It is better to guess than not answer. A blank answer is an automatic wrong answer.
TAKE YOUR EXAM IN PASSES
Pass 1) Answer all the easy questions first. Write down the question numbers of more difficult questions. Then rate them from one to three, with one being “I can answer this with a little work” and three beings “I don’t have a clue.”
Pass 2) Read the test a second time and answer more difficult questions. Answer all the questions you rated as one now.
Pass 3) Read the test a third time and answer more difficult questions. Answer all questions you rated as two now.
Pass 4) answer the questions rated three by utilizing the “identify wrong answer system” listed below.
STRATEGIES FOR ANSWERING DIFFICULT QUESTIONS: WHEN YOU NEED TO GUESS THE ANSWER.
- Eliminate answers you know to be incorrect.
- Give each answer the “true-false test:” This may reduce your selection to the best solution.
- Question answers that grammatically don’t fit with the question.
- Question answers that are unfamiliar to you. ‘
- Question answers that contain negative or absolute words. Try substituting a qualified term for the absolute one. For example, frequently for always; or typical for every to see if you can eliminate an option.
DIFFERENT STRATEGIES FOR DIFFERENT TYPES OF ANSWERS:
- All of the above: If you know two of four options seem correct, “all of the above” is a strong possibility
- Number answers: Ignore the high and low answer and consider the middle range numbers
- Look-alike options: if multiple answers look alike, probably one of them is correct. Choose the best solution but eliminate choices that mean virtually the same thing, and thus cancel each other out.
- Opposite options: If two options are opposite each other, chances are one of them is correct
- You should favor options that contain qualifiers: The result is longer, more inclusive items that better fill the role of the answer
- If two alternatives seem right, compare them for differences, then refer to the question to find your best solution.
ART OF GUESSING: How to identify WRONG answers while determining the BEST solution:
Always guess instead of leaving the answer blank, there is no penalty.
- Use hints from questions you know to answer questions you do not.
- Change your first answers ONLY when you are sure of the correction, or other cues in the test cue you to change. Remember that you are looking for the best answer, not only a correct one.
Eliminate the wrong answers first – Most exam questions feature one or more responses which are unmistakably wrong:
For example, let’s look at this question:
Question: The ground terminals for a lightning protection system must be bonded to the __________ of the building or structure.
- Foundation rebar
- The frame
- Grounding electrode
- Lightning rod electrode
Start by looking for BAD answers first, look at the question, and compare it to the various responses.
(1). Foundation Rebar: When answering exam questions, you need to pull from your experience in construction. While foundation rebar is a large amount of metal, it is encased in concrete and purposely kept away from direct content with the earth. This question is disqualified.
(2) The frame:? Well, if it is a mobile home, it may have a frame. If so, you certainly are not going to ground to it. This question is disqualified.
(3) Grounded electrode system: This answer looks like a winner. when putting it into the exam question, it now reads
The ground terminals for a lightning protection system must be bonded to the grounding electrode system of the building or structure.
This answer is now my hot contender for my best guess!
(4) Lightning Rod Electrode This answer is specific to the question! It hits on a particular keyword in the question, lightning protection system. Four also looks like a possible choice for the answer. Which to choose?
CONCLUSION: We have immediately eliminated both (1) and (2), so guessing the correct answer (3) or (4) is now 50/50 instead of having only a 25% chance of getting it right. But which exam answer is the most correct
ACCURATELY SELECTING THE CORRECT ANSWER:
Let’s look at (3) and (4) to see if we can’t improve our choice to the right answer.
(3) A grounding electrode system in context with the question would be the Grounding Electrode (system) of the building or structure. This answer is the big picture answer. While (4) lightning rod electrode is a specific piece of equipment which may or may not exist. If it does exist, it would be a part of the building’s grounded electrode system.
To help solidify your best guess quickly, look in article 100 definitions. If a lightning rod conductor is a specific piece of equipment, you should find it there.
Article 100 (Grounding Electrode. A conducting object through which a direct connection to earth is established. CMP-5)
Article 100 (Lightning Rod Conductor. Nothing whatsoever
Thus I would choose (3) Grounding Electrode System as it is the best, most complete answer.
The Correct Answer is (3)
TEST SITE POLICY:
The 2014 Master/Journeyman Electrician exam is an open book four-choice multiple-choice exam. You will have four choices per question. Some questions may require mathematical computation. Specified reference materials will be provided by the testing facility.
All exam questions are written to provide only one BEST answer and NOT written as trick questions.
All correct answers have the same point value. It is better to try to answer a question. By answering all questions, you have a chance to get them right (and earn points). When you leave a question blank, it’s automatically scored as wrong. (you lose points). Ample time is provided to answer all exam questions, so be sure to read all questions and answers entirely and carefully before selecting the BEST possible solution to the problem.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please check with your State or Local Board for current information. Licensing requirements change and our site may not have been updated to reflect those changes.
QUESTION: Who is required to have a Master/Journeyman Electrician license?
ANSWER: This depends on the State or Counties in which you must be licensed.
QUESTION: What are the qualifications required for taking the exam?
- Depends on the State or County where you wish to work.
QUESTION: How do I sign up for the exam?
ANSWER: If your state does not have state testing contact your local building department.
QUESTION: How long is the exam?
ANSWER: Consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. Test takers have 5 hours to complete the exam. Most exam’s are open-book with authorized materials and computer-based.
The exam covers the following subjects:
- Electrical Theory & General Knowledge
- Service and Service Equipment
- Branch Circuits and Conductors
- Wiring Methods and Materials
- Equipment and Devices
- Special Occupancies, Equipment and Conditions
QUESTION: Why should someone study this course if the master/journeyman license exam is an open-book test?
ANSWER: The electrical licensing exam is a very challenging exam and usually requires a month or more of preparation to pass.
The 2014 NEC is a large and complex publication containing over 800 pages of code. It is challenging to locate each correct article and answer in the time allowed during the exam without thorough preparation.
Our course is designed to familiarize you with the 2014 NEC. You will know precisely how to find the correct answers in the code when you take your exam.
We prepare you to successfully pass your exam by providing extensive knowledge of the structure of the code and by thoroughly covering each subject appearing on your Master/Journeyman Electrical License Exam.
QUESTION: Why is a copy of the 2014 NEC required by this course?
ANSWER: The Master/Journeyman Electrical License Exam is based on the 2014 NEC. This course is an excellent study companion to the 2014 NEC. This course makes frequent references to code sections and guides you through the exam topics.
The Electrical Licensing Exam is an open-book code exam. To pass, you must continuously reference the 2014 National Electrical Code.
The following codebooks allowed by the testing center.
- The NFPA 70 – National Electrical Code, 2014 Edition.
QUESTION: What can I bring into the testing center?
- Approved references
- Prescription eyeglasses